<span class="highlight">Simpson</span> Desert Trailer Ban

There has been number of rumours and statements of "fact" peddled around (including on this site) that SA Parks will ban trailers from the Simpson from 1 January 2009.

I have been in contact with SA Parks direct and have been assured by the District Ranger - Desert Parks, Outback Region, Regional Conservation Delivery, Department for Environment and Heritage
that this in not the case. to quote "Although we do actively
discourage it, we are not in a position to review banning trailers in
the near future." When asked if this meant "I read your reply as there will be no ban in place when we intend to travel, August 2009.", the response was "Correct".

Not wishing to rekindle the debate about taking trailers, or not, through the Simpson, rather I would suggest that it is worth checking up on "rumours" and get the "good oil" straight from the horses mouth!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ajd - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 15:53

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 15:53
Time, even though the Dept. of Environment and Heritage actively discourage the use of trailers in the Simpson Desert, will you still be taking one across?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 336226

Follow Up By: Time - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 15:59

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 15:59
No, I don't own one. Never been keen on towing, particularly when the going can get tough, but there are plenty who have the opposite view, each to their own.

The issue came up because on a trip I am planning one of the vehicles will want to tow. The guy has towed the Simpson, CSR and plenty of other tough tracks in the past, so has "half" an idea of what he is doing.
FollowupID: 603906

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 17:04

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 17:04
Part of the problem is the extra damage that people towing do to the tracks. He may be experienced at towing and know what is involved, but that will not stop the extra track damage from occurring.

FollowupID: 603922

Follow Up By: Member - Owen M (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:24

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:24
Here here!! We left our trailers at Birdsville and tented it over and back. There's a time and place for trailers and we think there are some places they just should not be, especially the Simpson. As for the CSR do so at your own risk!!!
FollowupID: 603966

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:24

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:24
I agree that the desert is a place best travelled with a tent rather than a trailer, and we did just that! Left the trailer in Birdsville and tented the K1.... Wonderful!! But I don't agree that the tracks are damaged by the trailers. Personally I think the trailers cop more damage from the tracks!!! Sand dunes will repair rather quickly, given time and a little wind, but bent draw bars and busted water tanks are a bit of a different story. Not to mention those who leave their trailer behind when it breaks. (I have seen only one example of this, along the K1 Line, IMHO one too many!!!!!)

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 603978

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 23:18

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 23:18
Brian,
A few years ago my wife and I spent 3 months in the WA Outback and towed a KK including, in a very responsible manner, up the CSR. If one "drives to the conditions" then neither the vehicle nor the environment will suffer.
The track on my KK was the same as the track on the Cruiser so on no part of the trip did the KK's "footprint" go other than where the LC went.
Read Thread # 7590.
DB
FollowupID: 603985

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:11

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:11
DB,
I hear ya matey..... but interestingly enough the " bent draw bars and busted water tanks" I mentioned were on the Karavan version of the KK.

For what it's worth, it doesn't bother me none whether anyone tows into the desert, at this point it's not something I would do, but I certainly can't see the relevance of tracks being destroyed by trailers, more along the lines of trailers being damaged. And if someones trailer is busted and they remove it or have it removed, well.... that's their business. It's when the trailer gets left there that bothers me, although I have only seen the one trailer left behind so far. I also haven't seen ALL of the desert.
A friend here has a Track Trailer that the previous owner towed across the Simpson twice! Without any bother, so it cabn be done obviously.
FollowupID: 604132

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:26

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:26
Time I have not seen any "Statements of fact" posted on this site or even heard anyone quote from another site about "Trailers being banned' by SA or QLD Parks.

Lots of discussion and even a few arguments about whether it should or should not occur, but never seen a claim that it was the case... Yet!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 336256

Follow Up By: Time - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:34

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:34
Check the Trek notes for the Simpson, under the "News" heading

"News Update: Rangers have spoken to travellers and have mentioned that no trailers will be allowed in the Simpson Desert starting from the 1st of January 2009."
FollowupID: 603942

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:47

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:47
I must be blind, can't see a "News" heading for the Simpson in the Trek Notes??
Can you provide a link?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 603943

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:05

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:05
OK got it now, thats a new one maybe ask David and Michelle for the source as they are Agents for the SA Desert Parks passes and would no doubt get any info direct from SA Parks.

Still it is not an "Official Ban" only a comment pending so still nothing factual.

On the other hand the Simpson Desert Closure over summer is certainly factual as its now posted on SA parks web site as official.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 603947

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:11

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:11
I agree with John. I don't think the Exploroz owners are in the business of misinformation. This is what I found under the Simpson Desert trek notes:

"Please take particular note that the Desert Parks Department strongly disapprove of trailers being towed across the Simpson Desert. Travellers are advised to drop off trailers and conduct a loop trip or a double-crossing to retrieve the trailer later"
FollowupID: 603949

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:50
Thanks Time - we will take care of those update ASAP. We had already taken down the info on the main Simpson Desert page we just have not updated those other notes yet, however as John mentioned we did not say it has happened only that it is planned (which it has been over the last few months) thanks for the heads up.
DM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 603969

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:08
I find it truly amazing that the authorities can show concern for trailers on the premise that they cause damage but say nothing about the people that insist on doing doughnuts on the. From my experience towing a trailer I find the position preposterous when you consider that the tracks themselves constitute something considerably less than 1% of the SD and the morning after a typical Simpson blow the tracks looks untravelled. I think there must be another agenda because it makes no sense.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 336278

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:10

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:10
Should read "on the clay pans"
FollowupID: 603963

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:59

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 21:59
Careful Beatit, you'll be upsetting the "anti-trailer" set!!!! hahaha

I've towed a camper trailer across the Simpson as well as numerous other tracks.

I still firmly believe that a vehicle towing a camper trailer, with all 6 tyres correctly deflated, will cause significantly less damage to the tracks than a 4x4 on it's own with tyres NOT deflated.

It's amazing how many dipsticks try and drive on all manner of tracks without adjusting their tyres.... hell, some of them even brag about how they "did" Big Red in 2wd or other such irresponsible behaviour.
FollowupID: 603970

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:22

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:22
Although I do not advocate towing over the Simpson I am in agreement with Roachie on this.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 603976

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:31

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 22:31
Roachie,

from memory, you own an Ultimate trailer??? (I suppose I could look up your profile page, but it's late and I can't be bothered.... LOL...)

I must admit that when we were out there in July, I saw a couple of Ultimates on the French Line and they handled the dunes with ease! (Behind Nissans of course!!!) I mentioned to Gayleen that an ultimate would probably be the only trailer that i would attempt a desert crossing with. (Just can't afford one. Yet.)
'Cos they're tough!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 603982

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:11

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:11
We were two Nissans towing Ultimates on the French line in late June and then three up the Hay River track after a few days in Birdsville. Roachie is spot on. Getting tyres at the right pressure is the key. We left less of an imprint on the track than many others with tyres way too high.

We then went on to the CSR and did Wells 33 to 23.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 603991

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 07:14

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 07:14
G'day Roachie, I agree with your comments, but I am still against trailers in the deserts, just my opinion.

I think it is probably the same opinion that the DEH want to ban them for, and that is not because of the responsible ones towing, but for those who will not conform.

Once again it is always the irresponsible ones that create these laws.

Sorry Bill,

Geoff.
FollowupID: 603998

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:14

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:14
Peter,

we had a brief radio chat with the Ultimates owners in question.... from memory there were two Nissans with Ultimates in a party of four east bound around the 2nd or 3rd of July..... one of the other cars was a Disco (I think) Was that you?

Saw them again at the c/van park in Birdsville.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 604133

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 20:05

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 20:05
Brian, It wouldn't have been Peter (he drives a 4.2TD Patrol).

I saw 2 Ultimates at Birdsville when I was there with my cracked chassis. I was a bit too pre-occupied to take the time to have a chat with them. But I did see them pull out one morning. The ones I saw were in a group of 3; one of the Ultimates was behind a Disco and the other a 3L Patrol from memory. The 3rd vehicle was a Toyota l/cruiser ute (75 series or similar), also towing a camper (not an Ultimate). If there was a 4th car in the convoy, I didn't see it or maybe it left when they reached B'ville.

Roachie
FollowupID: 604159

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 21:29
Brian,

I think it must have been us. We arrived into Birdsville 3rd July for Jan's birthday. We had two discos with us Bill. My son and son-in-law.

We then set off 5th July for the Hay River.

As you mentioned we had two Patrols - mine is a 4.2 and the other was my old 3l. Both handled the trip with ease.

Might even go again next year!

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 604170

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 07:52

Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 07:52
Roachie,

I re-read what I wrote and it certainly seems I asked if Peter drives a Disco.... LOL....... I meant that there was a Disco in this party of four that we passed....

Cheers

Peter,
I'm intrigued now to work this out! LOL...
The time line seems right on the money, if it was your party, then you might remember pulling up on one of the salt pans to allow us to cross. On radio, your lead driver said it would be a nice place for photos, while we passed heading west along the French Line. This would be Wed 2nd July, aprrox 15-20k's west of Poepell corner, we weren't crossing, just having a look and a play on the Line. Not long after we passed you west bound, we decided to turn around as we were due back in Birdsville that night and wanted to keep to our itinery. So after turning around we caught up with you and followed to Poepell Cnr. The next day, (3/7/2008) the two Ultimates set up in the Birdsville C/Park, there was already one Ultimate set up there and the two "new" Ultimates set up, one on either side of the first one. (Does that make sense?)

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 604195

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:28

Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:28
Brian,

Definately our group! The lead car was our son in a white disco and I was tail end charlie - Image Could Not Be Found

The clay pan stop was a great picture - Image Could Not Be Found

Our friends from Canberra had arrived in Birdsville a couple of days before the 3rd (Jan's birthday) and they then came up the Hay with us and on to the CSR.

Hope to catch you next trip.

Cheers

Peter

Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 604234

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 14:08

Sunday, Nov 23, 2008 at 14:08
YESSSSSSS!!!

It was you guys!!

We went past as you were taking the pic!! (And yes, it is a great pic)

Small world huh??

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 604245

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Nov 24, 2008 at 17:01

Monday, Nov 24, 2008 at 17:01
G'day Roachie,

Now I'm not about upsetting people but I sometimes get the feeling that from my experience these people have some hidden agenda that is obscured by the facts - such as, lets not have anybody in the SD because it casues damage to this delicate area!!!

Image Could Not Be Found

Please note that this track shown the results of an over night blow - really no evidence of damage of any sort.

And have a go at the enormity of the place and how the track fades into obscurity.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 604394

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Nov 24, 2008 at 22:09

Monday, Nov 24, 2008 at 22:09
Beatit.......

you're on the money I reckon!!!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 604444

Reply By:- Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:29

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:29
Well, lets hope that if " banning trailers because they do damage" is the correct action to take, that the same response will be applied to vehicles without trailers - that they will also be banned when the damage continues!
AnswerID: 336326

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:12

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:12
Ed-Zachary!!!

The simple fact is that the (alleged) track damage is caused by vehicles with over-inflated tyres, whether towing or not!

Aaand, I'll give London to a brick that there are a _LOT_ more non-towing vehicles with over-inflated tyres doing the damage than there are trailers...

A trailer ban is a cop-out, and will do absolutely nothing to reduce/eliminate track degradation..

If the DEH wanted to make a difference, I'd suggest random tyre pressure checks by rangers, and a hefty fine for any tyre over 20psi... (that will soon sort the wheat from the chaff;-))

YMMV

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 604013

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 16:57

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 16:57
Ed-C - RANDOM PRESSURE TEST - Thats the way to go. Who will be the luck fellow with the job to do that? I put my hand up for the job :-). Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 604027

Follow Up By:- Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 17:40

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 17:40
Funny how all those who are anti trailer, suddenly become very very quiet when one suggests if the damage was to continue after trailers were banned that vehicles without trailers should also be banned!
FollowupID: 604032

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:19

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:19
Can't see how they'd police the tyre pressure check thing...... but I agree with the comments that incorrect tyre pressures are a major culprit!!

"posted:
Funny how all those who are anti trailer, suddenly become very very quiet when one suggests if the damage was to continue after trailers were banned that vehicles without trailers should also be banned!"

Personally, I'm not anti-trailer, just happen to believe the desert isn't the place for a trailer, I also believe the trailer will cop more damage than the track.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 604134

Sponsored Links